Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's just not FAIR!!!!

So we took Xander to the State Fair of Texas on Friday. Tracy took the day off from work so we could go. He got to feed some goats and see a giraffe and some ostriches and a pig with her baby piglets and some kangaroos and zebras and emus and bunnies. Ya, I didn't get any pictures of any of those things. The camera was in my bag but since we couldn't bring in the stroller, he was "free" to run and dash anywhere. It was so crowded so it was all we could do to keep track of him and keep him from being trampled. I had no time to even search for the camera in my bag let alone take pictures. So no pictures of that. But we took him on his first rides; on a train and a roller coaster. We did get pictures of those things.


Here he is waiting in line with Daddy.


On the roller coaster...he had to sit on the inside so I couldn't get a good picture of him.


Coming off the roller coaster.


Mommy and Xander on the train.


Still on the train...the train went around like 10 times....I was wondering if it was ever going to end.


Coming off the train....finally!



On our way over to see the animals Xander saw something he liked so we stopped to see all the tractors.







He had to touch every tractor.


He was running from one tractor to the next tractor. So funny to watch.




Then he had to shop for some tractors.


The part that wasn't fair was the prices. Sheesh! We dropped one hundred freakin' dollars at the fair! Between admission, drinks, food and the rides.....but I got to have deep fried S'mores so I chalked it up to basic collateral damage. Whatever it takes to get s'more of those s'mores.....I am all over it! YUMMY! I guess I will have to wait another year to get them. It was LOTS better than the deep fried Coke they had last year. That was a CROCK! The lamest fair food ever.
Well, it was definitely a different experience to go to the fair with a toddler. I can totally understand why some parents use those leash things for their kids. I remember before I had a child I would look at the "poor little kids that had to be walked around on a leash like a dog" and I would say "what kind of parents would do that?" Well, I am seriously considering getting one of those. So, now I know...parents like me do that! Parents that have a toddler that runs at any given chance and hates to be in a stroller and parents that don't want to be running full speed after their toddler all day. Sign me up!

4 comments:

Erica said...

How fun! Gotta love the over priced fair but sometimes it is so worth it when they flash you that smile. Deep-fried smores huh? Sounds kinda yummy. They had deep fried pbj up at the Salt Lake Fair that everyone was talking about but I never made it up to try one. Glad you had a fun day.

stephanie said...

I so love seeing my kids' faces when they ride the small roller-coasters and other kid rides. How cute that Xander loves tractors so much. But, yeah, prices aren't that cute at fairs/amusement parks. The deep-fried s'more sounds like a yummy possibility. I certainly understand being too busy keeping the children safe to never be able to bring the camera out.

Evie said...

I am glad to hear that you had a good time at the fair!!! Yeah, everything is expensive... all I can say is that you have some great photos and memories to last a lifetime. That always makes me feel better! =)

Mandy said...

Shanyn, Xander is so adorable. I love the mohawk. It is fun to see your cute family. We didn't make it to the fair because four kids and a million people in the same place didn't sound all that fun.
Looks like you had a great time.